Notice Under the Americans with Disabilities Act
In accordance with the requirements of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), the City of Jacksonville Beach will not discriminate against individuals with disabilities in providing services, programs or activities.
The City will make efforts, upon request, to provide appropriate aids and services leading to effective communication for qualified persons with disabilities so they can participate in programs, services, and activities, including qualified sign language interpreters, documents in Braille, and other ways of making information and communications accessible to people who have speech, hearing or vision impairments. Reasonable accommodations will be made to policies and programs to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy all of its programs, services, and activities. For example, individuals with service animals are welcomed in the City of Jacksonville Beach offices.
Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication, or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in a program, service or activity of the City of Jacksonville Beach should contact the Human Resources/Risk Management Office at 247-6263 or for city meetings the City Clerk's Office at 247-6299 at least 4 days prior to the meeting or event. The ADA does not require the City to take any action that would fundamentally alter the nature of its programs or services, or impose an undue financial or administrative burden.
Complaints that a program, service, or activity of the City of Jacksonville Beach is not accessible to persons with disabilities should be directed to the ADA Coordinator via email or call 904-247-6263.
Americans with Disabilities Access Grievance Procedure
The City of Jacksonville Beach has adopted a grievance procedure for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the United States Department of Justice regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Title II states, in part, that "no otherwise qualified disabled individual shall, solely by reason of such disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination" in programs, services, or activities sponsored by a public entity.
Complaints should be addressed to:
ADA Coordinator, Human Resources/Risk Management Office
11 N 3rd Street
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
- A complaint should be filed in writing, containing the name and address, and phone number of the person filing it and describe the date and location giving rise to the complaint and a description of the problem. A suggested resolution of the problem should also be submitted if possible.
- The complaint should be filed within 30 days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation.
- An investigation will be conducted by the ADA Coordinator or her designee which may include a meeting with the complainant and other parties.
- Within 45 days of receipt of the complaint, a response by the ADA Coordinator will be provided regarding the findings of the investigation.
- If the response from the ADA Coordinator is not satisfactory to the complainant, he/she may submit the issue to the City Managers Office at 11 North 3rd Street, Jacksonville Beach, Fl 32250 within 15 days of receipt of the response from the ADA Coordinator.
- The City Manager's Office shall make an investigation into the issue and provide a written response within 60 days of receipt of the complaint.
- All written complaints received by the ADA Coordinator and appeals to the City Managers Office shall be retained for a period of three years.
- Nothing in this procedure shall prevent an individual from seeking remedy by filing an ADA complaint with the responsible federal department or agency. Use of this grievance procedure is not a prerequisite to the pursuit of other remedies.